I don't think that it is gender discrimination. Many couples who dont choose the sex of their baby still hope it is a boy or hope it is a girl, but are happy either way. However, i think it is selfish of a couple to try to decide this. it seems like they are "shopping" for the baby that fits just what they want. instead, the couple should trust that God will give them the baby that He wants them to have. After all, every baby is born exactly the way God wants him or her to be born, and nobody is able to change that.
I agree with Billy's comment for the most part. On some level this is gender discrimination because some of the families we've talked about explicitly want male children instead of female. Gender discrimination is when a person's sex unfairly becomes a factor when deciding something and that is exactly what the families who are able to choose the sex of a child do. At the same time, I think that babies are born exactly how God wants them to be, and I don't think choosing exactly what kind of child we want is our choice at all.
I agree with Billy and Gabby that it is not gender discrimination unless it is a cultural practice to only have one sex. In that case I believe it is, but in the United States I do not think that's the issue. I don't understand why couples would want to change their babies. For me, a child is made from the parents and I don't see why the sex of the baby, the color of their eyes, or the color of their hair matters. I think we are "playing God" when we try to change the appearance of our children for non-medical reasons. We are lowering human dignity by picking and choosing what we want and if this trend keeps up, I think our society will try to make "perfect" children and reproduction will be more of manufacturing.
I agree with all thats been said. Choosing a boy over a girl, if you are not a part of a culture which prefers one sex over another, is not discrimination but a matter of personal preference. It is you trying to create the perfect child for yourself. The selection of sex though I believe is not up to the parents but up to God and the forces of nature. You should not get to pick your child but you should nurture the one that God has blessed you with.
I can see both sides of this and understand why people think it is not gender discrimination, but a matter of preference but at the same time it worries me to know that people could choose the sex of their child, and where that would lead our society. If we start to choose one way or another we are technically discriminating against the other gender and where will that lead our society? To a society with a more dominant gender? I think there is enough gender discrimination in our society today for both genders that we don't need to choose the sex of our children, we should leave that up to God.
I agree with Billy's comment that we should not look to alter babies before they are born because they are born the way God wants them to be. However, I understand that some couples would prefer to have a child over another but i do not think that it is their place to actually decide the sex. As for the gender discrimination issue, I believe that it is not if it is an individual couples decision. If this turns into awhole cultural stance though then it could raise issues of discrimination.
I think that it is not a form of gender discrimination because the ratio of people that want boys to girls is even in most countries unless it is a religious practice to have a specific gender.
I agree with the people that say that it is not a form of gender discrimination. I dont think that we should choose what sex our child should be or alter any of its genes because thats not how God wanted it.
I agree with the notion that it should not be considered gender discrimination. at the same time, though, i believe that the action is still immoral because we shouldn't not want to play God in this case and pick the gender of our child, we should let things of that extent stay in control of God.
I also agree with the previous postings that gender selection should not be categorized as discrimination, but rather as interferance. Choosing the gender of a baby is a personal decision made by the parents and should not reflect upon the whole society. I think that choosig if a baby is a boy or girl is unnatural and the power to make such decisions should not be up to the parents. I also have to question the parent's motive for wanting a specific gender when they should only want a healthy baby.
I think that it depends on the reason for choosing one sex over another if you just want a boy more then it's not sex discrimination, but if you choose a boy instead of a girl because you think that boys are better and matter more then it is sex discrimination
I agree that it is not right to select the gender. I don't know if it's necessarily gender discrimation doing that, but I think that one is going against nature and God when choosing the gender of the baby. I feel as though the parents are almost saying that they would not love the child as much if it was the opposite gender as they chose, which should not be the way at all. A child should be perceived as a gift of God and it should not matter what gender it is.
Students, please remember that each new comment should bring something new to the conversation. Try not to simply repeat ideas that have been stated but continue to move the conversation forward.
I don't think that it is gender discrimination. Many couples who dont choose the sex of their baby still hope it is a boy or hope it is a girl, but are happy either way. However, i think it is selfish of a couple to try to decide this. it seems like they are "shopping" for the baby that fits just what they want. instead, the couple should trust that God will give them the baby that He wants them to have. After all, every baby is born exactly the way God wants him or her to be born, and nobody is able to change that.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Billy's comment for the most part. On some level this is gender discrimination because some of the families we've talked about explicitly want male children instead of female. Gender discrimination is when a person's sex unfairly becomes a factor when deciding something and that is exactly what the families who are able to choose the sex of a child do. At the same time, I think that babies are born exactly how God wants them to be, and I don't think choosing exactly what kind of child we want is our choice at all.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Billy and Gabby that it is not gender discrimination unless it is a cultural practice to only have one sex. In that case I believe it is, but in the United States I do not think that's the issue. I don't understand why couples would want to change their babies. For me, a child is made from the parents and I don't see why the sex of the baby, the color of their eyes, or the color of their hair matters. I think we are "playing God" when we try to change the appearance of our children for non-medical reasons. We are lowering human dignity by picking and choosing what we want and if this trend keeps up, I think our society will try to make "perfect" children and reproduction will be more of manufacturing.
ReplyDeleteI agree with all thats been said. Choosing a boy over a girl, if you are not a part of a culture which prefers one sex over another, is not discrimination but a matter of personal preference. It is you trying to create the perfect child for yourself. The selection of sex though I believe is not up to the parents but up to God and the forces of nature. You should not get to pick your child but you should nurture the one that God has blessed you with.
ReplyDeleteI can see both sides of this and understand why people think it is not gender discrimination, but a matter of preference but at the same time it worries me to know that people could choose the sex of their child, and where that would lead our society. If we start to choose one way or another we are technically discriminating against the other gender and where will that lead our society? To a society with a more dominant gender? I think there is enough gender discrimination in our society today for both genders that we don't need to choose the sex of our children, we should leave that up to God.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Billy's comment that we should not look to alter babies before they are born because they are born the way God wants them to be. However, I understand that some couples would prefer to have a child over another but i do not think that it is their place to actually decide the sex. As for the gender discrimination issue, I believe that it is not if it is an individual couples decision. If this turns into awhole cultural stance though then it could raise issues of discrimination.
ReplyDeleteI think that it is not a form of gender discrimination because the ratio of people that want boys to girls is even in most countries unless it is a religious practice to have a specific gender.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the people that say that it is not a form of gender discrimination. I dont think that we should choose what sex our child should be or alter any of its genes because thats not how God wanted it.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the notion that it should not be considered gender discrimination. at the same time, though, i believe that the action is still immoral because we shouldn't not want to play God in this case and pick the gender of our child, we should let things of that extent stay in control of God.
ReplyDeleteI also agree with the previous postings that gender selection should not be categorized as discrimination, but rather as interferance. Choosing the gender of a baby is a personal decision made by the parents and should not reflect upon the whole society. I think that choosig if a baby is a boy or girl is unnatural and the power to make such decisions should not be up to the parents. I also have to question the parent's motive for wanting a specific gender when they should only want a healthy baby.
ReplyDeleteI think that it depends on the reason for choosing one sex over another if you just want a boy more then it's not sex discrimination, but if you choose a boy instead of a girl because you think that boys are better and matter more then it is sex discrimination
ReplyDeleteI agree that it is not right to select the gender. I don't know if it's necessarily gender discrimation doing that, but I think that one is going against nature and God when choosing the gender of the baby. I feel as though the parents are almost saying that they would not love the child as much if it was the opposite gender as they chose, which should not be the way at all. A child should be perceived as a gift of God and it should not matter what gender it is.
ReplyDeleteStudents, please remember that each new comment should bring something new to the conversation. Try not to simply repeat ideas that have been stated but continue to move the conversation forward.
ReplyDelete