Monday, May 31, 2010

Handout/Movie

Race and separation in neighborhoods was a big issue in the United States years ago. Compare the racial discrimination back then and now, how has it changed? Are there areas were red lining and racial discrimination are still issues today?

3 comments:

  1. I think the main difference between back then and today is the way we present these issues and how they are talked about if at all. In the movie we watched everyone basically knew what was going on and the racial profiling and discrimination were bluntly talked about and they stated the reasons very upfront and people knew redlining was going on because people would refer to other people by the color of their skin. In our society today we are extremely careful about what we say and how we say it because there are certain words that are socially acceptable, and I believe redlining is still going on in our society today but political figures and leaders won't come out and say it. So, I do believe racial discrimination for all different races is still going on today and is a huge issue but it is handled much differently today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Keeley that racial discrimination was much more evident and obvious back then. People were not really afraid to say what they wanted to. There are still some exceptions for that today because there are still some people who are like that and dont care what they say. There are some people who take after thier grandparents and believe in racism. I think it has gone down alot from back in the days but it is not enough. There still is a good amount of racism going on today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that Keeley is right. That discrimination hasn't been eliminated it is just dealt with differently.

    ReplyDelete