How do artists work to affect social change? Has Dead Man Walking made you question ideas you once had about the death penalty? If so, how? Do you believe that plays and movies can ultimately change how you feel about an important universal question?
I think that movies and plays do affect the way I think about something. Dead Man Walking as made me consider the prisoner as a human and not just a monster who deserves to die. It shows that death penalty is not necessarily the most effective punishment. Throughout the movie, I find myself feeling sorry for Poncelott (spelling?). When I think back to what he did, though, it becomes confusing whether he deserves to die or not. Dead Man Walking was able to get me to question my opinion and thoughts because it portrays the issue of the death penalty in a real, relatable way. The same goes for other movies, plays, and even books- they put important questions out there in a way that makes people put themselves in the characters' shoes and think about it in a different way.
ReplyDeleteI used to think that if someone could kill another person and put the victims family through so much pain and suffering that they should in return get the death penalty. After seeing this movie however, it gave me a different view on the situation. Seeing it through the eyes of a person going through this process made me think that it isnt the right thing to do. It doesnt make sense to me now to kill a person who just killed somebody. You are just doing the same action they did so it really doesnt make you any better. I do think after seeing movies like Dead Man Walking your opinion and views can change.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Claire because I do think that plays and movies can change the opinions of those watching it. By watching a movie or a play, the person becomes more aware of the feelings and the problems that those involved would face; in real life, people wouldn't think twice about the death penalty unless it affected their own lives. This movie also does a good job of showing both sides of the argument. It makes clear that Poncelet deserves a punishment for his actions, but it also makes clear that killing might not be the right way to do it. Dead Man Walking showed both the murderer and the victims (the parents) which could therefore lead to a change in opinion of those watching.
ReplyDeleteI agree with what Stevo said about the movie Dead Man Walking making you reconsider the situation of the death penalty from the convicted person's eyes. I have always just thought about what the victim's family must be going through but I have never though about what the murderer's family has to deal with as well. I think that by showing what Poncelet and his family had to deal with all over that terrible mistake that he made portrays him as a human being rather than as a monster as people on death row are so frequently seen as. I believe that this was important and if they are done well enough movies can change peoples beliefs on these issues.
ReplyDeleteThe power of the movie is that it takes you inside the jail cell as well as the homes of the victims. You get both perspectives, both emotional struggles, and both sides of the death penalty question. Ultimately, I think that a movie does have the power to change a person's opinion of a major, universal question because a movie presents an issue with all of the emotional strings attached. A viewer gains insight for the other side of the story, and that makes it more difficult to pick a side just like that. A good movie makes the viewer think about all that's at stake- Dead Man Walking shows you the pain caused by the deaths of the teenagers; that could very well result in a desire for 'an eye for an eye.' However, it also brings you into the life and death struggle of Poncelet. After seeing his battle behind bars, it's more difficult to condemn him as a cold, murdering monster. Before watching this movie, I really wasn't sure where I stood on the question of the death penalty, though I was leaning against it. Now, I feel that I am much more against the death penalty because I feel closer to the mental and emotional sides of the issue- especially on the part of the condemned.
ReplyDeleteI also believe that a movie such as Dead Man Walking has the power to change the opinion of the viewers and make them question their beliefs. By taking the perspective of the various characters, the viewers can easily see the reality and severity of the situation. I think that many people begin to reflect on what they would do in the same case, and I believe this is the movie's intention. If a movie or play is effective, the people watching are forced to take on the roles and decide for themselves where they stand on certain issues.
ReplyDeleteArtists work to affect social change by providing an emotional viewpoint which adds depth to objective facts. The medium they use presents a different perspective that people can relate to and is able to generate a stronger response than fact alone. Before watching Dead Man Walking, I was hesitantly for the death penalty but only in the most extreme circumstances. The movie changed my belief because it made me realize the human aspect which I had ignored before. Plays and movies can change how I feel regarding an universal questions because it adds complexity to the argument. People in general are prone to making decisions quickly without thoroughly investigating all of the angles.
ReplyDelete