Monday, May 31, 2010
handout/movie
As seen in the movie and the packet, urban renewal was started over 50 years ago in the hopes of creating more suitable and livable areas. Most of the land destroyed was never replaced and many minorites were left to find other living arrangments. This "renewal" has led to even more segregated sections in cities. The lack of priviledges presented years ago to minority groups has carried over into the new century and those who inherited these disadvantages are left to live with them. Do you think that the US will ever see complete equality? What can be done to stop present day discrimination?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Realistically, I think that the US will never see complete equality. Over time it will get slowly better, but proactive steps need to be taken in order to ensure people are given equal opportunities. I think the best way to approach present day discrimination is by creating better schools for disadvantaged neighborhoods. If everyone has similar educational opportunities over time discrimination will decline, but the current school systems need drastic overhaul if this is going to be achieved.
ReplyDeleteI agree with matt that the US will never be complete equal. I also think that people in poorer neighborhoods should be given some financial support by the government so that they can go to better schools and improve their standards of living.
ReplyDeleteI agree with both of the people above that the US can never realistically be expected to be completely equal for all races. That being said, it can improve drastically and I believe that it will. The situation is not as good as it could be right now, but think of the vast improvement that has occurred in recent decades. Martin Luther King Jr was assassinated a little over a generation ago, and now the president of the United States is African-American. Do you think that anybody could have predicted that in King's time? Don't get me wrong, the country has tremendous room for improvement for equality, but it is certainly moving in the right direction.
ReplyDeleteI agree with everyone above that I do not believe that the US will evr be completely equal for all races. However, I do think that Ryan brings up a good point about the accomplishments of MLK and President Obama over the last half century. Even though these have been steps in the right direction there are still things being done to limit equality some people would argue. One example of this is the immigration laws in Arizona. Thererore, I feel even though we are making steps in the right direction we still have things as a society we are doing that are holding us back from being considered racially equal.
ReplyDelete